The Easter Beagle is one of Snoopy's many alter egos. He a holiday character that appears every year bringing easter eggs to the Peanuts characters' neighborhood. Snoopy first appeared as an Easter Bunny-like character on April 14, 1968 but Schulz did not give the character the name "the Easter Beagle" until three years later. The TV special It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown is based around the character.
In the strip Linus usually warns everybody about the Easter Beagle's arrival, saying something like, "The Easter Beagle is coming!" The Easter Beagle is one of Linus' peculiar beliefs, like the Great Pumpkin.
In the TV special It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown, Linus tríes to convince everybody that the Easter Beagle will come, much as he tries to convince everyone that a Halloween gift-giver is coming in It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. Towards the end of the special, the Easter Beagle comes dancing along with his basket full of eggs, giving a colored egg to each of the children. However, when he comes to Charlie Brown, there are no eggs left for him.
On Easter of 1973 it was revelated that the Easter Beagle had an assistant, Woodstock.
Each year people have to give credit to the Easter Beagle for his impressive entrance because each year he tries to come up with a better one. In 1977 the Easter Beagle came out of a giant egg delivering eggs.
The last Easter Beagle strip was in 1985, when he had nothing for Sally and he gave her his basket.
- April 14, 1968: first strip in which Snoopy acts as the Easter Bunny.
- March 29, 1970: Snoopy dances and gives Woodstock an "egg-bed".
- April 11, 1971: the character is called "the Easter Beagle" for the first time.
- April 2, 1972: the Easter Beagle has nothing for Charlie Brown.
- April 22, 1973: Woodstock is revealed to be the Easter Beagle's assistant.
- April 18, 1976: Snoopy feels too tired to deliver eggs. He eventually gives in to Linus' demands and reluctantly carries out his task.
- April 10, 1977: the Easter Beagle makes a grand entrance
- April 7, 1985: last appearance.
- Every year, there is an "Easter Beagle" egg hunt at the park, Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park, California
- Charles M. Schulz once said in an interview that the Easter Beagle was his favorite out of all of Snoopy's alter egos.