Snoopy is guarding Peppermint Patty's house, while her father is away, because she is afraid a robber will come. However, Snoopy gets sidetracked when he sees two eyes peeking from in a bush. Snoopy follows the beautiful eyes and disappears into the night. Peppermint Patty gets worried, since there is no guard dog, and calls Charlie Brown to take over Snoopy's guard dog duties. When Charlie Brown comes, Peppermint Patty sticks a bone in his mouth and leaves him sitting on the porch howling.
Soon afterwards, Snoopy returns and it is revealed that the eyes in the bush belonged to a beautiful dog named Genevieve. Through the medium of a letter to his brother Spike, Snoopy anounces that he is getting married to Genevieve. This comes as a great shock to Charlie Brown and his friends.
Snoopy wants his brother Spike to be the "best beagle" (best man) at his wedding, resulting in Spike needing to travel a long way from Needles, California. Spike tries to earn money for the journey by competing in a dog race, only to be disqualified for being a beagle and not a greyhound.
Charlie Brown takes Snoopy shopping so they can get ready for the wedding. He buys them both tuxedos.
Snoopy is at first excited, but soon grows nervous at the prospect of marriage, acting miserable at his own bachelor party and even breaking down into tears hours before the wedding. Charlie Brown actually has to force him to come to the ceremony. At the ceremony, everything is in order. Sally sings a song for Snoopy and Genevieve. However, when the bride is late, everyone begins to get anxious. Charlie Brown gets upset, and tells Spike to find out what is going on. Lucy soon arrives with good news and bad news. She says that the good news is that they have prepared a great party. She adds that the bad news is that the bride-to-be has just run off with a golden retriever. Snoopy is heartbroken at first, and then the gang says "What about my...". Snoopy soon lightens up at the prospect of remaining a bachelor, and enjoys salad with Woodstock. Spike returns home to his residence, a gigantic hollowed-out cactus with electricity and modern amenities. The program ends with Spike enjoying part of the wedding cake by himself.
- This special is based on a storyline which originally ran in the comic strip between July 25 and August 30, 1977. However, in the strip, Genevieve is never seen, and she runs off with Spike then a coyote, instead of a Golden Retriever.
- This special was nominated for the Emmy Award for Outstanding Animated Program.
- Brett Johnson – Charlie Brown
- Stacy Ferguson – Sally Brown/Violet
- Gini Holtzman – Peppermint Patty
- Keri Houlihan – Marcie
- Heather Stoneman – Lucy van Pelt
- Jeremy Schoenberg – Linus van Pelt
- Danny Colby – Schroeder
- Carl Steven – "Pig-Pen"/Franklin
- Dawnn D. Leary – Sally Brown (singing voice)
- Bill Melendez – Snoopy/Spike/Woodstock
- Snoopy's Getting Married, Charlie Brown on the Internet Movie Database.
- Snoopy's Getting Married, Charlie Brown on the Big Cartoon Database.
- Snoopy's Getting Married, Charlie Brown on AllMovie.
- Quotations from Snoopy's Getting Married, Charlie Brown on Wikiquote.