You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown is the twenty-ninth animated television special based on Charles M. Schulz's Peanuts comic strip. It first aired on CBS on November 6, 1985. It is based on the 1967 stage musical of the same name. You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown is notable for being the first Peanuts animated cartoon in which Snoopy's thoughts are expressed as comprehensible English speech.
Contents of the program
You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown takes the form of a series of vignettes, without a unifying plot. The program appears to follow a typical day in the life of Charlie Brown, although the same day includes exchanging Valentine's Day cards and the baseball season.
- "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" - Sung by the other children to Charlie Brown.
- "Schroeder" - Sung by Lucy van Pelt to the tune of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata that Schroeder plays.
- "The Kite" - Sung by Charlie Brown as he flies his kite.
- "Snoopy" - Sung by Snoopy as he considers how much Lucy van Pelt, Sally Brown, Linus van Pelt, Schroeder, Charlie Brown, Woodstock, and his other bird friends like him.
- "T-E-A-M (the Baseball Game)" - Sung by Charlie Brown and the other children.
- "Queen Lucy" - A musical number, rather than a song, with spoken dialog between Lucy and Linus.
- "The Book Report" - Sung by Charlie Brown, Lucy van Pelt, Linus van Pelt and Schroeder.
- "Little Known Facts"- Sung by Lucy van Pelt, Linus van Pelt and Charlie Brown.
- "Glee Club Rehearsal" - Sung by all the children.
- "Suppertime" - Sung by Snoopy.
- "Happiness" - Sung by all the children.
Differences from the stage musical
The running time of the animated cartoon is shorter than that of the stage musical version of You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown and the number of songs is reduced accordingly. Although "My Blanket and Me" and "The Doctor is In" can be heard instrumentally during the Valentine's Day scene and the lunchtime scene respectively.
Patty was one of the featured characters in the original 1967 stage performance of the musical. By the time that the animated cartoon was made in 1985, Patty had stopped appearing reguarly in Peanuts and would not have been familiar to many viewers. For that reason, she was replaced by Sally Brown. When the stage musical was revived on Broadway in 1999, Sally Brown replaced Patty yet again.
- Brad Kesten – Charlie Brown
- Kevin Brando – Charlie Brown (singing voice)
- David T. Wagner – Linus van Pelt
- Jessica Lee Smith – Lucy van Pelt
- Tiffany Reinholt – Sally Brown
- Jeremy Reinbolt – Schroeder
- Michael Dockery – Marcie
- Robert Towers – Snoopy (singing/speaking)
- Bill Melendez – Snoopy/Woodstock (uncredited)
- You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown on the Internet Movie Database.
- You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown on the Big Cartoon Database.
- You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown on AllMovie.